As a tea lover, I found it appropriate to start this series with the origins of tea. Here are a few interesting facts about tea.
- Tea started as a miraculous cure for poisoning according to an ancient legend
- It originated from China
- Tea was originally meant to be eaten as vegetable or cooked in the earlier days
- Tea became a drink only some 15 hundred years ago (from 2017).
- China had a monopoly over tea, which along with silk and porcelain were its three major export good.
- Tea was being exported to Europe to be sold at 10 times the price of Coffee
- British East India company stole tea and some tea workers from China and smuggled them to Darjeeling India
- Tea was cultivated in Darjeeling and it then spread across the world.
Amazing, how tea has such a fascinating story and how what was once consumed as food became the second most popular drink in the world. I personally love the “elaichi chai”(cardamom tea).